Cooking Vivendier is a 66 recipe cooking journey. In each post I discuss a different recipe from the 15th c French cookbook The Vivendier, as translated by Terence Scully. Included are pictures, the original recipe (english translation), my method and notes on how it turned out, and how I might do it differently next time.
After reviewing the book, I decided to recreate each dish mentioned to the best of my ability. I may fail at some and succeed at others. I may question my own choices after tasting the dishes. It is all part of the process. I hope to come out at the end of this with a greater understanding of the way the author meant the dishes to taste and to look.
I was gifted a lovely book of medical, botanical, household and personal advice. This wonderful book also contains over 5 dozen dishes ranging from simply sauces, and food for the infirmed to grand dishes fit for the most noble guest.
Since I am in charge of overseeing the running of the household including its kitchens I have decided that I should test each of these recipes before having them served to my family or guests.
Thus I have given myself the challenge of cooking each of the recipes and writing down my thoughts on them. I will cook one of the dishes until I have finished them all. My thoughts on each will be included in these pages so that I might share my experience with my friends and those with whom I have similar interests. — Murienne l’aloire
I hope you find these pages to your liking. If you wish to speak with me please do not hesitate to contact me or leave me a comment.
- Recipe #01 – Barbe Robert
- Recipe #02 – Votte Lombarde
- Recipe #03 – Brouet Rousset
- Recipe #04 – Cretonnee de pois nouveaux
- Recipe #05 – Potage Grenné
- Recipe #06 – Pour farsir oes
- Recipe #07 – Sicilian Vermicelli
- Recipe #08 – Brouet de vergus
- Recipe #09 – Comminee de Poisson
- Recipe #10 – Rys en galles c’on dit “contrefait”
- Recipe #11 – Soupe de quaresme
- Recipe #12 – Chaudel sur eulx pochiez
- Recipe #13 – Amplummus
- Recipe #15 – Soupe crottee
- Recipe #16 – Brouet Vergay
- Recipe #17 – Pignagoscé sur chapons
- Recipe #18 – La Brehee
- Recipe #19 – Char de porc fresche
- Recipe #20 – Paste en pot
- Recipe #21 & #22 – Cameline Sauce and Cameline Garlic Sauce